Land and Water Conservation Fund Grant Program
No grant round open at this time.
Overview: The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) is a federal grant program administered by the Department of Interior, National Park Service (NPS). LWCF consists of two parts or sides: the federal and the state side. The latter, administered in partnership with individual states and U.S. territories, provides grants for projects featuring "close-to-home" outdoor recreational opportunities for the public.
Alaska: More than $40 million in LWCF grants has been invested in over 350 projects in Alaska since inception of the program in 1965. Locally sponsored projects vary widely. Examples include a skate park in Sitka, ball fields in Barrow, a rifle range in Kodiak, community garden in Bethel, tot lot in Kotzebue, ski area in Cordova, and a swim beach in Fairbanks. LWCF grants have also assisted State-sponsored sites such as Chugach State Park, Clam Gulch State Recreation Area (SRA), Nancy Lake SRA, and Chena River SRA.
Eligible Applicants: State, regional or local governments with the legal authority to provide park and recreation services on public lands are eligible to apply for LWCF assistance.
Funding Priorities: See page 48-51 of the Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan: 2016-2021, for discussion of priorities bulleted below.
High Priority Project Types
- Trail and facility upgrades or improvements (includes support facilities, restrooms, campsites)
- Improved access to recreation areas (parking, boat launches, trailheads, signage, etc.)
- Meet ADA accessibility standards
Moderate Priority Project Types
- Acquisition or development of new trails and facilities
For further information, and to apply for an LWCF grant, click the following links:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- General Provisions
- Section 106 Request for Review
- Maps & Site Plans: Examples
- Budget Example
- Resolution Example
- Standard Forms Examples: 424a, 424c, 424d
- Categorical Exclusions from 2015 NPS NEPA Handbook
- Rating Form
Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP), 2016-2021
For more information, contact the Grants Section manager at email@example.com or 907-269-8700.