Land and Water Conservation Fund Grant Program
The 2016 call for grants is now closed.
Please check back soon for future opportunities.
Overview: The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) is a federal grant program administered by the Department of Interior, National Park Service (NPS). The Fund consists of two parts or sides: the federal and the state side. The latter, administered in partnership with individual states and U.S. territories, provides grants for projects featuring “close-to-home” outdoor recreational opportunities for the public.
Alaska: More than $36 million in LWCF grants has been invested in well over 300 projects in Alaska since inception of the program in 1965. Locally sponsored projects vary widely. Examples include a skate park in Sitka, ball field in Barrow, rifle range in Kodiak, community garden in Bethel, tot lot in Kotzebue, ski area in Cordova, and a swim beach in Fairbanks. LWCF grants have also been invested throughout Alaska in State-sponsored sites such as Chugach State Park, Clam Gulch State Recreation Area (SRA), Nancy Lake SRA, and Chena River SRA.
Funding Priorities: See page 53 of the Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan: 2009-2014, extended through December 2016 for complete list of priorities. ( page 53)
High State Priorities
- Rehab, upgrade or expand existing high-demand facilities or trails
- Meet ADA accessibility requirements, or complete ADA inventory of rec facilities and trails
High Community Priorities (Local or Regional Sponsors)
- Community Parks/Playgrounds
- Rehab, upgrade or expand existing facilities
- Campgrounds and public use cabins
Reimbursable & Matching: A grantee/sponsor does not receive a cash grant at the time of project approval. Instead, a grantee pays project costs and is reimbursed up to 50% of the documented eligible expenses. Grantees may request quarterly reimbursements. Match may come from sources such as local appropriations or bonds, in-kind use of equipment, materials and labor, or donations and volunteer time. Most federal financial sources are ineligible to use as match for LWCF.
For further information, click the following links:
- ORTAB January 25, 2017 Meeting Minutes
- LWCF Grant Application
- Frequently Asked Questions
- General Provisions
- Section 106 Review: Instructions & Examples
- Maps & Site Plans: Examples
- Budget Workbook and Examples
- Budget & 424c Examples
- Resolution Authorizing Grant Application and Acceptance: Example
- Standard Forms Examples: 424a, 424b, 424c, 424d
- Categorical Exclusions from 2015 NPS NEPA Handbook
- Rating Form
- Funding Priorities
For more information, contact the LWCF Grants Administrator at email@example.com or 907-269-8694.