The Alaska Office of History and Archaeology (OHA) and State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) provides historic preservation programs to encourage the preservation and protection of the historic, prehistoric, and archaeological resources of Alaska.
We do this through:
• Review & Compliance (State / Federal)
• National Register of Historic Places
• Historic Preservation Planning
• Certified Local Government Program
• Rehabilitation Tax Credit Reviews
• Education, Outreach, and Interpretation
• Statewide Site Inventory (AHRS)
• Archaeological Survey Unit
• State Archaeology Permits
• Alaska Historical Commission
It is the policy of the State to preserve the historic, prehistoric, and archaeological resources of Alaska from loss, desecration, and destruction so that the scientific, historic, and cultural heritage embodied in these resources may pass undiminished to future generations (A.S. 41.35.010).