(Ketchikan, AK) - The Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation will host a public scoping meeting in Ketchikan, AK at the Ted Ferry Civic Center on December 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM to introduce the Totem Bight SHP Master Development Plan. A general overview of the plan, goals and objectives, and general timeline will be presented. Participants will be given the opportunity to ask questions, discuss concerns, and submit comments.
The draft plan is available for review below.
Public Meeting Follow -Up
The Totem Bight SHP Master Development Plan public meeting held on the evening of December 9, 2010 was well attended and the comments, suggestions, and concerns shared during the meeting will help to greatly improve this plan. As the planner for this project I would like to personally thank all of you who gave up your evening to meet with me and to help me improve this plan. I have received a number of written comments already and I encourage all those interested in this park to do likewise.
Summary of Public Comments and Agency Responses - First Draft - March 2011
The Alaska Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation is preparing a master development plan for Totem Bight State Historical Park. This plan will set forth management guidelines and recommendations for facility development in the park. The previous general development plan for the park, adopted in 1977, needs updating. This new master development plan will recognize the facilities that have been built or improved in the last 30 years, propose future development, and address some of the issues the park is facing with increased visitor use.
The DRAFT plan is available here as pdf files. To open pdf files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 3.0 or higher, on your computer. Acrobat Reader is available for free off the Internet. Click the Get Acrobat button to go to the Adobe Acrobat web site, follow their instructions and choose the appropriate type of Acrobat Reader for your computer.
Draft Totem Bight Master Development Plan (4MB)
Appendix A (17 MB)
Appendix B (397 KB)
Appendix C (Incomplete)
Appendix D (639 KB)
As part of this process, comments on this plan will be received through Friday, December 17, 2010 at close of business For more information or to send written comments, contact:
Alaska Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation
Interpretation and Education Program
550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 1340
Anchorage, AK 99501-3579
Below is an outline of the major steps that will be taken to develop this plan and the approximate time frames for completion.
Main Issues Identified - A public meeting was held on May 1st, 2007, to identify issues and concerns in the area. Comments were accepted through June 1st, 2007.
2. Gathering of Information - Throughout the planning process, information has been collected regarding natural resources, present and past land use, land ownership, and the local economy. Much of this has been accomplished, however, this is an ongoing process that will conclude once the plan is complete.
3. Land Use Alternatives Evaluated - A description of possible choices for park management based on public interests, local resources, state policies, and the effects each has on the goals for the park management was compiled and evaluated.
4. Draft Plan Prepared - A draft plan was created that reflects resource values and public and agency goals as described in the 2007 public scoping meeting. The agencies reviewed the first draft in June of 2010 and proposed changes and adjustments to provide the public with the best alternatives.
The outline below lists the major steps that will be taken to complete this plan and the approximate time frames for each step.
1. Public Review of Draft Plan - Hold a public meeting to provide the public an opportunity to comment on the draft plan and to identify parts that may need to be changed. Winter 2010
2. Prepare Final Plan - Based on agency and public comments, a final plan is prepared. Spring 2011
3. Plan Adoption and Implementation - The Director of the Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation signs the plan approving it and adopting it as the official guiding document for the park. Summer 2011
1977 General Development Plan for Totem Bight SHP