CACFA meets three times a year, Juneau during the Legislative Session, Fairbanks in late Spring, and Anchorage in the Fall. This page contains past and present meeting announcements, advertising, agenda information, meeting minutes, and where possible, meeting packet information, meeting recordings and presentations.
Fairbanks - Friday, June 12 and Saturday, June 13, 2015
The next Commission meeting will be held in Fairbanks. We will be posted more information as the meeting date approaches.
Juneau - Friday, January 30 and Saturday, January 31, 2015
The Commission met in Juneau on Friday, January 30 & Saturday, January 31, 2015, at the Capitol Building.
The agenda is available by clicking HERE and in the next few weeks we will be posting presentations.
The meeting was broadcast on Alaska Legislative TV. A recording of the proceedings will be linked in the next week.
Call for Nominations to the Alaska State Lands Advisory Group
At its January 14 Work Session, CACFA passed a resolution to create the Alaska State Lands Advisory Group (ASLAG). The number of potential group members has not yet been determined. CACFA is now accepting nominations for appointment to ASLAG; a nomination form and more information on the resolution and ASLAG is available by clicking HERE. Any nominations must be submitted at or before the last public comment opportunity on the last day of the Commissionís Juneau meeting: 4pm on January 31.
Please feel free to contact CACFA Executive Director Sara Taylor at 907-269-3645 with any questions or concerns.
Anchorage - Work Session - Wednesday, January 14, 2015
The Commission convened a work session in downtown Anchorage on Wednesday, January 14, 2015, from 9am to 5pm, in the Atwood Building. The Commission discussed multiple issues and developed strategies for evolving our mission and allocating our appropriate towards viable and meaningful projects and initiatives. The approved final agenda is available by clicking HERE.
Materials distributed at the work session will be posted here shortly. A full recording of the proceedings will also be available at www.AKLeg.tv.
Anchorage - Friday, August 8, 9 & 10, 2014
The Commission met in Anchorage on Friday, August 8 and Saturday, August 9, 2014. This meeting was held at the Anchorage Legislative Office Interim offices at 733 West 4th Ave., 1st floor meeting room. There is a full recording of the preceedings at: www.AKLeg.tv.
Approved Agenda and other meeting resources will be available in the future.
On Sunday August 10th the Commission invited Representative Ken Ivory from the State of Utah to speak on the action of federal overreach in the western states and the American Lands Council (ALC). Representative Ivory was in Anchorage attending ALC's annual meeting. Additional information and the presentation will be available soon.
Fairbanks - Friday, June 6 and Saturday, June 7, 2014
The Commission met in Fairbanks at the Legislative Inforamtion Office.
A full recording of this meeting has been archived by 360 North at : http://www.360north.org/citizens-advisory-commission-on-federal-areas/.
MEETING AGENDA (final 6/8/2014) and Links to other Meeting Resources:, Public Notice and Meeting Minutes (will be posted when complete.
Juneau - Friday, January 24 and Saturday, January 25, 2014
The Commission met in Juneau on January 24th in the House Judiciary Room - 120 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturday in the Senate Finance Room - 532 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
This meeting was streamed live on Alaska Legislative TV. The proceedings have been archived by 360 North at : http://www.360north.org/citizens-advisory-commission-on-federal-areas/.
MEETING AGENDA (final 1/24/2014)
In an effort to conserve on copy and mailing costs, Commission staff will be posting the MEETING PACKET online, CLICK HERE to be directed to that page.
Links to other Meeting Resources: Public Notice and Meeting Minutes (will be posted when complete.
Anchorage - Thursday, October 3, Friday, October 4 and Saturday, October 5, 2013
The Commission met in Anchorage at the Legislative Information Office, 716 W. 4th. Avenue, Anchorage, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Along with regular business, this meeting was to serve as the second in a series of meetings to examine Alaskaís relationship with Federal land and natural resource managers in the state. In order to provide the Commission with additional and essential perspectives on the issues identified at the August summit, Federal agencies, including the Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, National Park Service, and the US Forest Service were given dedicated time on the agenda to participate in the discussion. It was unfortunate that due federal appropriations shortfalls causing a government shutdown that the agencies did not attend.
This allowed for extra time to consult with Alaska Native Corporations and Organizations. The Commission extended an invitation to the Alaska Federation of Natives, all ANCSA Regional Corporations and representatives from the Regional Native Associations. The perspectives from these agencies and organizations is a critical element in developing appropriate and implementable recommendations that will be forwarded to the Governor, the Alaska Legislature and the Congressional delegation. There were two opportunities each day for the public to interact and discuss issues related to Federal land management in Alaska.
AGENDA CHANGES - The agenda for this meeting changed due to the Federal government employee furlough. Thursday, October 3 was originally dedicated to Federal agency participation but has been adjusted to allow for discussion of the DRAFT Summary and action points identified at the August Summit.
Overreach Summit, Anchorage - August 12 & 13, 2013
The Commission hosted a Federal Overreach Summit on August 12 & 13, 2013 at the Dena'ina Center, Anchorage.
Since the Summit generated a good deal of interest, a site has been created dedicated to this effort. For more inforamtion on the Summit, please follow the following LINK: http://dnr.alaska.gov/commis/cacfa/FOS.html where you can find all meeting materials including: archived video, presentations, participants Bios, supporting literature and written media can be accessed at this site.
Fairbanks - Friday, June 7th and Saturday, June 8th, 2013
The Commission met in Fairbanks on Friday, June 7th and Saturday June 8th, 2013 at the Legislative Information Office, 1292 Sadler Way, Fairbanks, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. There were eight Commissioner's in attendance both days.
The following issues were discussed:
-Sealaska Corporation made a presentation on the Southeast Alaska Native Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act;(1MB)
- Don Striker, Superintendent of Denali NPP, and Greg Dudgeon, Superintendent, Gates of the Arctic NPP, were present and Sue Masica, Alaska NPS Regional Director, by phone, presented on Alaska Region Manageemnt Issues;
- BLM's Shelly Jacobson and Jeanie Cole presented on Upcoming Planning Projects;
- Legacy Wells Strategic Plan in NPR-A (1.07 MB);
- Report from Scott Ogan, Manager of the Department of Natural Resources, Public Assertion and Defense Unit;
Juneau - Friday, February 22 and Saturday, February 23, 2013
The Citizens' Advisory Commission on Federal Areas (CACFA) met in Juneau on Friday, February 22, 2013 from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. in the Judiciary Room, located in Room 120 of the Capitol Building. The meeting reconvened on Saturday, February 23, 2013 from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. in the House Finance Room, located in Room 514 of the Capitol Building, Juneau. There were eight members in attendance on Friday and nine members in attendance on Saturday.
The following agenda items were discussed:
- Selected case updates and status report from the Department of Law (by teleconference);
- USFS Sustainable Cabin Program Maps: Yakutat Ranger District Map; All other Ranger Districts;
- Tongass National Forest Land and Resource Management Plan Five-Year Review: Sue Jennings, USFS presentation; Kyle Mosell, Large Project Coordinator, State Tongass Leadership Team presentation;
- Utah Constitutional Defense Council, a report from Utah's Assistant District Attorney (by teleconference;
- Chugach National Forest Plan Revision: LINK to project website;
- Wood Bison and the Proposed ESA Section 10j Regulations: LINK to project website;
- BLM Alaska Eastern Interior Resource Management Plan: LINK to project website;
- Southeast Alaska Native Land Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act: LINK to Senator Murkowski's Website; LINK to maps and supporting documents;
- Public Assertion and Defense Unit staus report on RS2477 (presentation by Kent Sullivan, Department of Law) and Navigability (presentation by Scott Ogan, NRM II, PAAD Unit Manager);
- Commissioner Goals and Objectives Discussion aerWQ 3421;
- Annual Election of Officers;
This meeting was streamed live over the internet using Alaska Legislature TV. This video has been archived at: http://www.360north.org/citizens-advisory-commission-on-federal-areas/.
Anchorage - Wednesday, Nov. 28 and Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012
The Commission met on Wednesday, November 28th and Thursday, November 29th, 2012 at the Legislative Information Office, Suite 220, 719 4th Avenue, Anchorage. There were 8 Commission Members in attendance and the agenda can be viewed HERE.
Links to agenda items and presentation from the meeting:
- BLM Alaska Hunting Guide Capacity Study;
- Agency Reports on Big Game Hunting Guide Programs; State of Alaska Hunting Guide Program Presentation made at the meeting;
- Bering Land Bridge National Park Guided Hunting Environmental Assessment: LINK to the presentation made at the meeting; and Serpentine Hot Springs Area Master Plan
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Surrogate Species Presentation;
- National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska Final Integrated Action Plan.
Fairbanks - Thursday, May 31st and Friday, June 1st, 2012
The Commission met at the Legislative Information Office, Suite 308 of the Alaska USA Financial Center at 292 Sadler Way in Fairbanks. There were nine Commission members in attendance at this meeting and the agenda included discussion on:
- BLM Alaska Eastern Interior Resource Management Plan: LINKS to- presentation, project website;
- State of Alaska, Dept. of Transportation Ambler Mining Dist. Access Project, LINKS to- presentation, project website;
- Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve General Management Plan Amendment;
- Basin Wide Adjudication and Guest Speaker Mr. Christopher Estes: presenation;
- Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex Draft Environmental Impact Statement, staff presentation;
- Bell Island Geothermal Leases, Tongass National Forest; and
- National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska Draft Integrated Action Plan.
Juneau - Friday, February 24th and Saturday, February 25th, 2012
The Commission met in the Capitol Building during it's winter meeting in Juneau with nine Commission members in attendance. The agenda included discussion on:
-Department of Natural Resources, Public Access and Assertion Defense Unit Update;
-Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement on the National Forest System Land Management Planning Rule;
-Alaska Federal Lands Long Range Transportation Plan;
-National Parks Service Glacier Bay Superintendent Update;
-Annual Election of Officers;
-Updates and Improvement on Commission public outreach; and
-a guest presentation from the State of Utah Office of the Attorney General and their pending Litigation to Protect RS 2477 Rights of Way: LINKS to the Presentation and Handouts.
Anchorage - Thursday, October 27 and Friday, October 28, 2011
This meeting of the CACFA was held at the Legislative Information Office, Suite 220, 719 4th Avenue, Anchorage, with 11 Commissioners in attendance.
Agenda topics included:
- the Denali Park Road Draft Vehicle Management Plan;
- Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Draft Revised Comprehensive Conservation Plan;
- Alaska Federal Lands Draft Long Range Transportation Plan;
- State of Alaska, DNR, Public Access Assertion and Defense Unit Field Report for the Summer 2011 field Season;
- Subcommitte and full Commission discussion on S. 730-Southeast AK Native Land Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act; and
- Commission Activities to increase effectiveness.
Prior years Meeting Information Archive
For meeting information, such as public notices and advertising, Meeting packet and minutes, prior to October 2011; please contact the Commission Staff by phone 907-451-2035 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.