CACFA meets three times a year, Juneau during the Legislative Session, Fairbanks in late Spring, and Anchorage in the Fall. This page contains past and present meeting announcements, advertising, agenda information, meeting minutes, and where possible, meeting packet information, meeting recordings and presentations.
Juneau - Friday, January 24 and Saturday, January 25, 2014
The Commission will be meeting in Juneau on January 24th in the House Judiciary Room - 120 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturday in the Senate Finance Room - 532 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Please be advised there is an Executive Session scheduled for Friday January 24 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. This session will be a closed session and not open to the public.
There will be four opportunities during the meeting for public participate in person or by phone (463-5009 from in Juneau and 855-463-5009 from outside Juneau).
Public Participation is scheduled for Friday, January 24 at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. and on Saturday, January 25 at 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
This meeting will also be streamed live on Alaska Legislative TV, to watch and listen visit www.AKL.tv.
DRAFT AGENDA (updated 1/22/2014)
The MEETING PACKET is now available online, CLICK HERE to be directed to that page.
Anchorage - Thursday, October 3, Friday, October 4 and Saturday, October 5, 2013
The Commission met in Anchorage at the Legislative Information Office, 716 W. 4th. Avenue, Anchorage, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Along with regular business, this meeting was to serve as the second in a series of meetings to examine Alaska’s relationship with Federal land and natural resource managers in the state. In order to provide the Commission with additional and essential perspectives on the issues identified at the August summit, Federal agencies, including the Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, National Park Service, and the US Forest Service were given dedicated time on the agenda to participate in the discussion. It was unfortunate that due federal appropriations shortfalls causing a government shutdown that the agencies did not attend.
This allowed for extra time to consult with Alaska Native Corporations and Organizations. The Commission extended an invitation to the Alaska Federation of Natives, all ANCSA Regional Corporations and representatives from the Regional Native Associations. The perspectives from these agencies and organizations is a critical element in developing appropriate and implementable recommendations that will be forwarded to the Governor, the Alaska Legislature and the Congressional delegation. There were two opportunities each day for the public to interact and discuss issues related to Federal land management in Alaska.
AGENDA CHANGES - The agenda for this meeting changed due to the Federal government employee furlough. Thursday, October 3 was originally dedicated to Federal agency participation but has been adjusted to allow for discussion of the DRAFT Summary and action points identified at the August Summit.
DRAFT MEETING TRANSCRIPTION (pdf file size 1.9 MB, updated 1/2/2014)
LINK TO AGENDA (updated 10/3/13)
Fairbanks - Friday, June 7th and Saturday, June 8th, 2013
The Commission met in Fairbanks on Friday, June 7th and Saturday June 8th, 2013 at the Legislative Information Office, 1292 Sadler Way, Fairbanks, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. There were eight Commissioner's in attendance both days. CLICK HERE for the agenda.
The following issues were discussed:
-Sealaska Corporation made a presentation on the Southeast Alaska Native Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act;
- Don Striker, Superintendent of Denali NPP, and Greg Dudgeon, Superintendent, Gates of the Arctic NPP, were present and Sue Masica, Alaska NPS Regional Director, by phone, presented on Alaska Region Manageemnt Issues;
- BLM's Shelly Jacobson and Jeanie Cole presented on Upcoming Planning Projects;
- Legacy Wells Strategic Plan in NPR-A;
- Report from Scott Ogan, Manager of the Department of Natural Resources, Public Assertion and Defense Unit;
Juneau - Friday, February 22 and Saturday, February 23, 2013
The Citizens' Advisory Commission on Federal Areas (CACFA) met in Juneau on Friday, February 22, 2013 from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. in the Judiciary Room, located in Room 120 of the Capitol Building. The meeting reconvened on Saturday, February 23, 2013 from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. in the House Finance Room, located in Room 514 of the Capitol Building, Juneau. There were eight members in attendance on Friday and nine members in attendance on Saturday. Click HERE for the agenda.
The following agenda items were discussed:
- Selected case updates and status report from the Department of Law (by teleconference, see minutes for transcription);
- USFS Sustainable Cabin Program Maps: Yakutat Ranger District Map; All other Ranger Districts;
- Tongass National Forest Land and Resource Management Plan Five-Year Review: Sue Jennings, USFS presentation; Kyle Mosell, Large Project Coordinator, State Tongass Leadership Team presentation;
- Utah Constitutional Defense Council, a report from Utah's Assistant District Attorney (by teleconference, see minutes for transcription);
- Chugach National Forest Plan Revision: LINK to project website;
- Wood Bison and the Proposed ESA Section 10j Regulations: LINK to project website;
- BLM Alaska Eastern Interior Resource Management Plan: LINK to project website;
- Southeat Alaska Native Land Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act: LINK to Senator Murkowski's Website; LINK to maps and supporting documents;
- Public Assertion and Defense Unit staus report on RS2477 (presentation by Kent Sullivan, Department of Law) and Navigability (presentation by Scott Ogan, NRM II, PAAD Unit Manager);
- Commissioner Goals and Objectives Discusion and Annual Election of Officers;
DRAFT meeting minutes will be available when transcribed and updated as final when reviewed and approved.
This meeting was streamed live over the internet using Alaska Legislature TV. To view the meeting from the archived visit http://akl.tv/ and follow the links.
Anchorage - Wednesday, Nov. 28 and Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012
The Commission met on Wednesday, November 28th and Thursday, November 29th, 2012 at the Legislative Information Office, Suite 220, 719 4th Avenue, Anchorage. There were 8 Commission Members in attendance and the agenda can be viewed HERE.
Links to agenda items and presentation from the meeting:
- BLM Alaska Hunting Guide Capacity Study;
- Agency Reports on Big Game Hunting Guide Programs; State of Alaska Hunting Guide Program Presentation made at the meeting;
- Bering Land Bridge National Park Guided Hunting Environmental Assessment: LINK to the presentation made at the meeting; and Serpentine Hot Springs Area Master Plan
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Surrogate Species Presentation;
- National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska Final Integrated Action Plan.
DRAFT Meeting Minutes: meeting minutes will be updated as final when reviewed and approved.
Fairbanks - Thursday, May 31st and Friday, June 1st, 2012
The Commission met at the Legislative Information Office, Suite 308 of the Alaska USA Financial Center at 292 Sadler Way in Fairbanks. There were nine Commission members in attendance at this meeting and the agenda included discussion on:
- BLM Alaska Eastern Interior Resource Management Plan: LINKS to- presentation, project website;
- State of Alaska, Dept. of Transportation Ambler Mining Dist. Access Project, LINKS to- presentation, project website;
- Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve General Management Plan Amendment;
- Basin Wide Adjudication and Guest Speaker Mr. Christopher Estes: presenation;
- Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex Draft Environmental Impact Statement, staff presentation;
- Bell Island Geothermal Leases, Tongass National Forest; and
- National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska Draft Integrated Action Plan.
Juneau - Friday, February 24th and Saturday, February 25th, 2012
The Commission met in the Capitol Building during it's winter meeting in Juneau with nine Commission members in attendance. The agenda included discussion on:
-Department of Natural Resources, Public Access and Assertion Defense Unit Update;
-Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement on the National Forest System Land Management Planning Rule;
-Alaska Federal Lands Long Range Transportation Plan;
-National Parks Service Glacier Bay Superintendent Update;
-Annual Election of Officers;
-Updates and Improvement on Commission public outreach; and
-a guest presentation from the State of Utah Office of the Attorney General and their pending Litigation to Protect RS 2477 Rights of Way: LINKS to the Presentation and Handouts.
DRAFT Meeting minutes: meeting minutes will be updated as final when reviewed and approved.
Anchorage - Thursday, October 27 and Friday, October 28, 2011
This meeting of the CACFA was held at the Legislative Information Office, Suite 220, 719 4th Avenue, Anchorage, with 11 Commissioners in attendance. The agenda topics included:
-the Denali Park Road Draft Vehicle Management Plan;
-Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Draft Revised Comprehensive Conservation Plan;
-Alaska Federal Lands Draft Long Range Transportation Plan;
-State of Alaska, DNR, Public Access Assertion and Defense Unit Field Report for the Summer 2011 field Season;
-Subcommitte and full Commission discussion on S. 730-Southeast AK Native Land Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act; and
-Commission Activities to increase effectiveness.