Permits for Investigations on State Lands

Permits for cultural resource investigations on state lands are authorized under AS 41.35.080 and 11 AAC 16.030".

A State Cultural Resource Investigation Permit (SCRIP) permit is required of any person or agency proposing to conduct cultural resource moitoring or surveys on state lands, including tidelands and submerged lands (out to three miles or within channels of navigable water bodies). State lands include but are not limited to state general lands, ADOT&PF rights-of-way, state airports, Mental Health Trust, Alaska Railroad, University of Alaska, Alaska State Parks, and special management areas. A permit is required regardless of the level of proposed work. For example, a permit is required for non-obtrusive survey (including remote sensing over land or water).

Click here for the current SCRIP Application and StipulationsNEW. Additional guidance on SCRIP Stipulations can be found at SCRIP Stipulation InstructionsNEW. Please note that OHA Permit stipulations have changed for the 2024 season, with the new SCRIP application superseding all previous ones. Field Supervisor Signature FormNEW.

Artifact Curation

Artifacts collected from State lands are primarily curated at the University of Alaska Museum of the North. Collections loans are available to qualified institutions and researchers on a case-by-case basis. To initiate a loan, please contact the University of Alaska Museum of the North.

Excavations, 1991. Photo by Dr. Charles Holmes
Broken Mammoth excavations, 1991. Photo by Dr. Charles Holmes