KRSMA Permits 

Gilman River Center

The River Center in Soldotna is a multi-agency permitting, information and education center. Borough, state, and federal agencies work together to protect the natural resources associated with Kenai Peninsula watersheds. Alaska State Parks at the Gilman River Center issues permits for the building of structures (i.e., roads, buildings, bank restoration, floating docks, walkways etc.), in the Kenai River Special Management Area and the Alaska State Park units on the Kenai Peninsula. The permitting staff also issues non-competitive park use permits for commercial activities in Alaska State Park units.  

Commercial Park Use Permits

Persons conducting commercial activities within the Kenai River Special Management Area must obtain, in advance, a permit issued by the Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation. Water taxis, flight seeing tours, fishing guides, white water rafting, kayak tours, back country hiking, and boat rentals are just a few of the businesses that operate in Alaska State Parks on the Kenai Peninsula.

Commercial Operators are not authorized to operate in the park until the permit has been issued. Commercial Use Permit applications and required documentation may be submitted in person, by mail or via email to:

Pam Russell, Natural Resource Specialist
Gilman River Center
514 Funny River Road
Soldotna, AK 99669
(907) 714-2471

Commercial Park Use Permit Information and Application

Kenai River Commercial Guide Permit 

Special Park Use Permits

Special Use Permits are required for a wide variety of special events, such as those listed below. A special use permit is not required for regular recreation activities.

For a complete list of commercial and non-commercial activity fees, please read the current Director's Order on State Park Fees.

  • Groups of 20 or more people.
    Example: Company picnic or family reunion.

  • Other organized events.
    Example: Weddings.

Included with the Special Use Permit will be a list of standard, general stipulations. Permits may also include additional stipulations customized to your specific situation.


Special Park Use Permit Application