Summer Naturalist Program
Summer Naturalist Program for 2013:
Saturday, August 24th at 7 pm - "A Walk Through Time: The Military History of Kodiak"
Military History Flyer
All events meet at the Fort Abercrombie Visitor Center and are led by the volunteers unless otherwise noted.
These events are sponsored by Friends of Kodiak State Parks, which is supported, in part, by donations and the Kodiak State Parks Bookstore located in the Visitor Center..
Please call 907-486-6339 with any questions.
Summer Tidepooling at the Park
Join the Park Naturalist as we explore the intertidal zone and learn
about the inhabitants who call it home! Be sure to wear weather appropriate
gear and bring rubber boots. Meet at the Visitor Center
All ages are welcome!
August 8 Thursday 9:00am (meet at the Visitors’ Center)
*August 13 Tuesday 12 noon (meet at Lake Gertrude Beach picnic tables)
August 22 Thursday 9:00am (meet at the Visitors’ Center)
August 24 Saturday 10:00am (meet at the Visitors’ Center)
*August 26 Monday 12 noon (meet at Lake Gertrude Beach picnic tables)
*For the noon tidepooling, if weather permits, bring a sack lunch and we’ll provide a campfire and fixings for s’mores. After lunch, we’ll go down to the beach and see what we can discover in the tidepools! If the weather doesn’t cooperate, we’ll just visit the tidepools
Tidepooling Schedule Flyer
These events are free thanks, in part, to Friends of Kodiak State Parks. Friends of
Kodiak State Parks is supported by donations and the Bookstore located at
the Visitor Center.
Please call the Park office at 486-6339 with any questions
2nd Annual Ft. Abercrombie Scavenger Hunt
How Well Do You Know Ft. Abercrombie?
August 5 – August 30, 2013
Would you like a Fort Abercrombie t-shirt? Or an Alaska State Parks coffee mug?
Or an Alaska State Parks pin?
• On or after August 5, access the Park website, Naturalist Ft. Abercrombie Park Facebook Page or the Park Office for clues of the 13 items/plants/animals that should be photographed
• Solve the clues, then search the Park for objects and photograph them (only from the Park)
• Bring photos (on your camera) to Park Office during office hours for verification
• If you are one of the first 15 people to photograph all 13 objects, you win your choice of an official Ft. Abercrombie T-shirt (donated by Friends of Kodiak State Parks), an Alaska State Parks coffee mug (only 10 available) or an Alaska State Parks pin
• If you photograph at least 8 of the objects, you win an Alaska State Parks sticker
• All objects can be found along the trails of Ft. Abercrombie, but some may require a bit of patience to get a photo
• The Scavenger Hunt will end at 4pm on Friday, August 30, so don’t be late!
These events are free, thanks to Friends of Kodiak State Parks. Friends of Kodiak State Parks is supported by donations and the Bookstore located at the Visitor Center. Please call the Park office at 486-6339 with any questions.
Junior Ranger Program
If you are between the ages of 7 and 12, you can become a Junior Park Ranger! (Of course, we will not turn down anyone wanting to earn their Junior Park Ranger Badge, regardless of their age!)
Complete your booklet and earn your junior park ranger button and certificate.
There will be a hot dog cookout at Ft.Abercrombie State Historical Park in August to celebrate all of the new Junior Park Rangers!
Throughout the months of July and August, to help you complete your activity booklet, there will be a number of guided walks and times to talk with a Ranger. See the attached activity calendar for times and dates!
Junior Park Ranger Flyer
Junior Park Ranger activity book
August Calendar of Events
These events are free thanks, in part, to Friends of Kodiak State Parks. Friends of Kodiak State Parks is supported by donations and the Bookstore located at the Visitor Center.
Please call the park office at 486-6339 with any questions.
Ongoing throughout the summer:
History comes alive at the Kodiak Military History Museum at Miller Point. Enjoy interactive displays that celebrate the rich military history of this region from WWII to the present.
Sunday: 1:30-4pm $5.00 admission