Castle Hill Archaeological Project
IV. Castle Hill: 1817 TO 1836
Baranov departed New Archangel for Russia on Hagemeister's
vessel in November 1818, after paying a farewell visit to the colony at
Kodiak (Bancroft 1959:513-514; Pierce 1990:186). He died at sea, however,
before reaching his final destination. Ianovskii served as Chief Manager
until the renewal of the Russian-American Company charter in 1821, at which
time he was replaced by Naval Captain M.I. Murav'ev (Bancroft 1959:534-535).
One of Murav'ev's first orders of business was to invite the Sitka Tlingit
to return to their former village, separated from the fort by a palisade.
Under Hagemeister's management, and that of his interim successor S.I. Ianovskii,
virtually all of the buildings from Baranov's tenure were replaced (Khlebnikov
1994:30, 138). Khlebnikov (1994:30) reported that the barracks was so dilapidated
that it was on the verge of collapse, for which reason the employees had
built five small houses outside the fort. Khlebnikov (1994:138-140) reported
new construction for the years 1818 to 1830, as follows:
1818. Tower No. 1, with two stories, octagonal, with eight cannons.
1819. (1) Tower No. 2, two-storied, octagonal, with eight cannons; (2) pier near the shore; (3) windmill.
1820. (1) Chief manager's house in the upper fortress, eight sazhens [56 ft. or 17.04 m] in length; (2) tower No. 3 in the upper fortress, the same size as the others, with six cannons; (3) a battery on the seaside, with eight cannons; (4) lower barracks, divided into three parts by hallways (with a mezzanine on both sides) these rooms can house 80 men, they are nine sazhens [63 ft. or 19.17 m] in length, there are three rooms for officials upstairs; (5) an apartment house, two-storied, nine sazhens [63 ft. or 19.17 m] in length, they house the priest, the doctor, two officials, the office, pharmacy and hospital; (6) house of the office manager; (7) bathhouse for officials; (8) bathhouse for the garrison; (9) spinning (weaving) shop; (10) bakery; (11) a new harbor on pilings to replace the old one, eaten by worms; (12) three stairways to the upper fortress and a reviewing stand; (13) a two-storied arsenal for small arms; (14) gates and a wall for the middle fortress from the barracks to the priest's house, with a battery of two cannons.
1826 to 1828. (1) A three-storied store 18 sazhens [126 ft. or 38.34 m] in length, the lower floor contains a section for storage in general, there are two rooms for storing materials, and two for storing goods and supplies, the central floor is for materials and furs and supplies, the floor under the roof is used for storing various types of goods; (2) a two-storied house for apartments of officials, downstairs there is a barracks, a school, three separate apartments for officials, upstairs - six separate rooms and two kitchens, both buildings are covered with metal roofs.
1830. (1) Two new pilings... for the building of the harbor area; (2) a large warehouse 18 sazhens [126 ft. or 38.34 m] long...; (3) some of the old buildings can still stay up awhile, others are falling apart, these include: in the central fortress: general store, trading store; inside the fort: workshops, blacksmith's shops, quarters for the shop workers and a metalwork shop, the general kitchen, the stable, three kazhims for the Aleuts, the carpentry shop and saw shed [Khlebnikov 1994:138-140].
In 1822, the Chief Manager's new residence (begun in
1820) in the fort was finished (Fedorova 1973:222). Its roof was covered
with iron from St. Petersburg, and the lower walls and adjacent floors were
sheathed with flattened lead to deter rodents (Fedorova 1973:222-223). Only
the Chief Manager's house and the barracks were covered by iron. Other buildings
were covered with tree bark bartered for from the Tlingits (Fedorova 1973:223).
Frederic Litke, who visited Sitka in 1827 described the settlement:
- The settlement is at present made up of two parts -- the fortress and the outlying areas. The first encloses the governor's two storied house, situated on the highest point of the rock, at around eighty feet above sea level, surrounded by towers and by batteries armed with thirty-two cannon, which makes it like a citadel... All of the structures in the fortress are company property; they are well maintained, although not without difficulty for the magnificent wood of conifers and saplings used here, because of its poor quality and the effect of the climate, does not last very long. One of the towers along the fortress walls houses the arsenal, with enough firearms and hand arms for over a thousand men, kept in good order [Litke 1987:46].
The Baroness Wrangell, wife of the chief manager in
the early 1830s also provided an account of the manager's house:
- The town consists of small houses, dwarfed by the imposing appearance of the fort, in which our house plays a great role. It stands on a knoll, surrounded by four small towers, from which cannon look in all directions... [1831 letter from the Baroness Wrangell, quoted by Pierce 1989:30].
By some accounts, apparently based on oral history,
the house was constructed of "bricks... acquired from a passing ship,"
and torn down in 1833 due to damage from an earthquake (Hanable 1975:2).
The bricks are described as yellow bricks, engraved "Stenwick,"
from Holland (DeArmond 1995). Written descriptions of the period mention
bricks only in the context of their scarcity, and their use in the manufacture
of Russian stoves (Fedorova 1973:223). Also, an 1827 engraving by F. H.
von Kittlitz, who accompanied Litke on his voyage to New Arkangel, seems
to depict a log or frame building with a gabled roof (Henry 1984:55). By
the 1830s, however, the house -- sometimes called the "original castle,"
was already deteriorating. Wrangell obtained permission from the main office
at St. Petersburg to build another, in the meantime moving into the port
headquarters (Pierce 1989:32). Construction efforts were generally less
profound after 1827, when the shareholders of the Russian-American Company
confirmed a decision to transfer the colonial capital back to the Kodiak
settlement (Fedorova 1973;143). The transfer did not occur, largely due
to a lack of manpower for new construction on Kodiak (Fedorova 1973:145).