Eagle River Greenbelt Access and Pathway - Frequently Asked Questions
How is the project funded?
The project will receive 91% of its funding from the Federal Highway Administration. The State of Alaska is required to match the federal funding with the remaining 9%.
What is the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)?
The TIP provides a means to select projects based on various factors. When transportation improvements are needed in a community for certain reasons, a nomination is submitted requesting federal transportation funding be allocated for the proposed work. The nominations are ranked based on a criterion, which includes such things as safety issues and cost factors. If the nomination is ranked high enough, funding is allocated. The Eagle River Greenbelt Access and Pathway nomination was submitted in 1998. It was granted approval in 2001.
What is AMATS?
AMATS stands for Anchorage Metropolitan Area Transportation Solutions. It consists of representatives from the local and state agencies that draw upon various municipal agencies to plan and organize transportation improvements for the Municipality of Anchorage. Since Anchorage's population is greater than 50,000, federal regulations require the use of a multi-agency team when federal highway funds are used.
How was the public be involved with the project?
A public involvement schedule was developed for the project. Its primary intent was to involve the public as much as possible. This was important in evaluating all potential alternatives and concepts. Areas of public interest, concerns, and social and habitat sensitivity were evaluated and taken into consideration during the public process.
Will the pathway be open to year-around use?
Yes. The pathway will be used for non-motorized recreational activities such as skiing, hiking, running, biking and wildlife viewing.
What fees, if any, will be charged to users of the pathway?
It has not been determined at this point if any fees will be charged. There is a possibility that a day-use fee for parking could be assessed in order to help offset the maintenance and operation expenses.
Will access points be constructed along the pathway?
Yes. Four major points of access were identified in the project nomination at the following locations:
Eagle River Campground
Hiland Bridge (Eagle River Access Parking)
Mile 7.8 Eagle River Road (North Fork Access Parking)
Eagle River Visitor Center
Minor points of access from the neighborhoods may be identified and possibly incorporated in to the project. Each access point would be landscaped and have bicycle racks, restrooms, drinking water and educational panels regarding the local natural and historic resources.
When will construction begin?
Environmental analysis and public involvement are complete and the environmental document should be approved by December 2010. The design phase is scheduled for 2010 - 2011. Construction is tentatively scheduled for 2012 or 2013.
Return to main page.