Skip to content

Warning: Javascript is disabled.
For full functionality and best experience on our site, it is necessary to enable JavaScript.
Here is instructions to enable JavaScript in your web browser

Back to Top

Notice about payments:

Individual land buyers, lessees of state land, or permittees who are unable to make their payments should immediately contact the Division of Mining, Land and Water (DMLW) to discuss ways to address their financial hardship and payments due, consistent with the Governor's COVID-19 Disaster Order of Suspension No. 2 as amended, or the Director's Finding concerning extensions of certain land sale contract and lease payments. Contact the DMLW by email at or by phone at (907) 269-8594. Thank you.

Unorganized Borough Plats

Contact Survey Section

Dept. of Natural Resources
Div. of Mining, Land & Water
550 W 7th Ave Suite 650
Anchorage, AK 99501-3576
(907) 269-8523

Unorganized Borough Platting Authority

On May 20, 1998 AS 40.15 was amended and Article 4, “Platting in Areas Outside Certain Municipalities” was added, which took affect on August 18, 1998. This established the Department of Natural Resources as the platting authority for the Unorganized Borough. Any subdivision, as defined in AS 40.15.900, must be platted and approved by a platting authority in order to be recorded.

Local platting authority is granted to organized boroughs and incorporated cities and municipalities. If your property lies within a incorporated city or borough, you should contact the appropriate office to determine whether or not they are exercising their platting authority. If you are unsure how to contact the local government, the Division of Community Advocacy maintains an online Community Database that we have found to be helpful.

Click here for specific information on submitting plats for DNR approval.

Web Apps:


Stanley Brown
Platting Officer for the Unorganized Borough
550 W 7th Ave Suite 650
Anchorage, AK 99501-3576
Eric Simons, RLS
Land Surveyor I
Phone: 269-8524