Preface (PDF) Includes: Cover, Acknowledgements, and Introduction
Part One (PDF) : Methodology
Part one describes a methodology developed to describe and evaluate the scenic resources along the George Parks Highway. Since scenic resource inventory techniques may be new to some people using this report, part one goes to considerable detail with respect to the definition of terms and description of concepts. The inventory system described here was designed specifically for conditions in Alaska. This system incorporates many techniques currently employed nationally in scenic resource evaluations. Consequently, part one may be viewed as a good introduction into some of the underlying concepts regarding the evaluation and value of scenery as a natural resource.
Part Two (PDF) : Interpretation and Evaluation
Part two describes some of the ways that scenic resource information can be evaluated and displayed. This part suggests ways that this type of data might be used in conjunction with other resource data particularly through overlay mapping. The evaluation techniques described in this part were used to develop the management recommendations found in part three.
Part Three: Management Recommendation
Part three should be considered the most important part of this report. It describes recommendations specific to the management of the scenic resources found along the George Parks Highway.
- General Recommendations (PDF)
- Visual Resource Management Units South of Cantwell (PDF)
- Visual Resource Management Units North of Cantwell (PDF)
Part Four (PDF) : Further Actions Needed for Management of Scenic Resources
Part four identifies the additional need to incorporate this data and recommendations into other land and resource management plans and studies currently being conducted in south-central Alaska, as well as pointing out the need for further effort regarding scenic resource educational programming and management implementation strategies.
Management Plans Index
- Dalton Highway Master Plan
- Denali to Wrangell - St. Elias
- Fish Creek Management Plan
- Haines State Forest Resource Management Plan
- Hatcher Pass Management Plan
- Knik River Public Use Area Management Plan
- Matanuska Valley Moose Range Management Plan
- North Access Visitor Facilities Study
- Nushagak and Mulchatna Rivers Recreation Management Plan
- Scenic Resources Along the Parks Highway
- Susitna Basin Recreation Rivers Management Plans
- Susitna Forestry Guidelines
- Turnagain Arm Management Plan