Adopted April 19, 2005
On April 19, 2005 the Commissioner of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) adopted the Bristol Bay Area Plan Revision; a component of this plan, the Nushagak and Mulchatna Rivers Recreation Management Plan Revision (RRMP) was also approved. The plan provides guidelines for recreation uses over much of the Nushagak and Mulchatna drainages. The RRMP was revised during 2004 to resolve certain problems of upland management, establish the RRMP as a standalone component of the Bristol Bay Area Plan, and update those portions that were out-of-date or no longer applicable.
A short summary of each chapter in the PRD is listed below with links to each. Chapter 1 provides an introduction to the Plan. Most of the management intent for state lands in the planning area can be found in Chapters 2 and 3 where two levels of management intent are presented: drainage-wide and management unit specific. Chapter 2 provides goals, management intent, management guidelines, and identifies the uses that are affected by the plan and whether they are permitted or prohibited. Chapter 3 describes the specific management intent for each of the 25 management units. In combination, Chapters 2 and 3 will guide DNR resource managers in determining how best to manage recreational uses on state lands and which uses may or may not occur in a given management unit. Chapter 4 discusses plan implementation, including procedures for plan change.
The Nushagak and Mulchatna Rivers Recreation Management Plan (RRMP) is a component of the Bristol Bay Area Plan (Area Plan). The Area Plan has also been revised, and it can be viewed at the same website.
The plan consists of four chapters and the appendices. Use the links to view each one.
This chapter describes the purpose of the plan, why the plan was originally developed and why it has been revised, and explains the relationship between the RRMP and the Area Plan. This chapter also describes what the plan will affect and those uses and areas that it will not affect.
- Chapter 2 - Goals, Management Intent, and Guidelines (pdf - 180 KB)
This Chapter identifies the recreational uses that are to be managed by the RRMP; the management intent (expressed as different levels of use experience) that is applied to the units in Chapter 3; and whether uses may be allowed, prohibited, or allowed on a case-by-case basis.
- Chapter 3 - Management Guidelines, Public Use Sites, and Management Policies for Specific Units (pdf - 590 KB)
This Chapter describes the management intent and management guidelines for each of the 25 Management Units that comprise the plan. These units are depicted on a plan map. Recommended Public Use Sites are also identified and described. Detailed maps of the Public Use Sites can be found in Appendix C.
- Chapter 4 - Implementation and Recommendations (pdf - 130 KB)
This Chapter explains aspects of plan implementation, including procedures for plan change.
The appendices include a glossary (Appendix A), a table listing 17b(2) and RS 2477 easements by management unit (Appendix B), and maps of the Public Use Sites (Appendix C).
- Oversized Map (pdf - 2.6 MB)
Land Planning Index
Management Plans Index
- Dalton Highway Master Plan
- Denali to Wrangell - St. Elias
- Fish Creek Management Plan
- Haines State Forest Resource Management Plan
- Hatcher Pass Management Plan
- Knik River Public Use Area Management Plan
- Matanuska Valley Moose Range Management Plan
- North Access Visitor Facilities Study
- North Slope Management Plan
- Nushagak and Mulchatna Rivers Recreation Management Plan
- Scenic Resources Along the Parks Highway
- Susitna Basin Recreation Rivers Management Plans
- Susitna Forestry Guidelines
- Turnagain Arm Management Plan