News & Announcements
The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation has posted a public notice for a Draft APDES Permit for the Niblack Project. The link for the DEC Public Notice is: http://dec.alaska.gov/water/wwdp/PublicNotice.htm with the information as noted below.
The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation has prepared an Alaska Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (APDES) Draft Permit.
Per 18 AAC 83.120, the Department is transmitting the APDES Draft Permit and associated documents to you for a 30-day public review and comment period.
Facility Name: Niblack Project
Discharge Location: Niblack Anchorage
Mixing zone proposed in Essential Fish Habitat: No
Review Period: 03/18/2015 to 04/17/2015
Permit documents are attached and can also be accessed from the ADEC Wastewater Discharge Authorization website under the Public Notice section.
Written comments can be submitted via email to: email@example.com
Or by mail to: Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation Wastewater Discharge Authorization Program 555 Cordova Street Anchorage, AK 99501
For questions, please call Renee Evans at 907-269-7568. Thank you.
The Niblack Project is a copper-zinc-gold-silver prospect in an advanced exploration phase of development. The proposed underground exploration project is located off Moira Sound on southeastern Prince of Wales Island, approximately 30 miles southwest of the town of Ketchikan.
The applicant, Niblack Mining Corporation, proposes to develop 6,000 feet of underground tunneling from a single adit entry. The main focus of the underground work is to provide access for exploration drilling to test deep zones of mineralization. The project is expected to last 2 years. It will require development of a marine access and camp barge facility on the adjacent State-owned tide and submerged lands. Other surface disturbances including an access road, portal, and waste rock storage and disposal areas will be confined to private property.
Total surface disturbance requiring post-closure reclamation is approximately 5.5 acres. The proposed underground excavation will generate about 60,900 cubic yards of waste rock, most of which is benign. Approximately 14,300 cubic yards is potentially acid-generating (PAG) material which will be temporarily placed in an engineered, lined 0.85-acre storage facility. At the end of the exploration period, all PAG waste rock will be picked up and transferred back underground and the adit will be sealed.
Niblack Mining Reclamation Bond 2007 (Niblack Mining Corporation)
- Reclamation Plan Approval J122711 (August 23, 2012)
- Reclamation Plan Approval J072711 (June 29,2007)
- Final Finding and Decision - Tideland Lease ADL 107544
- Early Entry Permit - Tideland Lease ADL 107544
- Temporary Water Use Permit #J2007-01
- Temporary Water Use Permit #J2005-07
- DNR / ACMP Final Consistency Determination AK 0704-03J
- Niblack Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Application under the Waste Management Permit (April 2007)
- Niblack Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Application 2012 Post-Construction Update (May 25, 2012)
- Industrial Waste Monofill Solid Waste Permit Application, Version 12-2011 (May 25, 2012)
- Niblack Water Quality Monitoring Plan, 2012 Post-Construction Update (May 25, 2012)
- Niblack Mining Corporation Quality Assurance Project Plan (2007)
- Niblack Project Underground Exploration Plan of Operations 2012 Post-Construction Update (May 25, 2012)
- Niblack Reclamation and Closure Plan 2012 Post-Construction Update (May 25, 2012)
- Waste Management Permit (2006-DB0037)
- 401 Certificate of Reasonable Assurance (POA-1982-290-N)
- Air Permits Program: Owner Requested Limit Letter of Approval ORL No. AQ1098ORL01
- Niblack Project Underground Exploration Plan of Operations
- May 7, 2008 - DEC Field Inspection Report
- February 14, 2008 - DEC Memo: Site Inspection
- August 24, 2006 - DNR draft Trip Report
- Niblack Exploration Project Annual Report (posted 2/22/2010)
- Temporary Land Use Permit #LAS 25727
- ACMP Consistency Determination AK 0703-01J - Concurrence
- ACMP Start-up Packet (includes Applications)
- Temporary Water Use Permit #J2005-06 - Amended
- ACOE Section 10 (Modification) POA-1982-290-M
- Fish Habitat Permit FH-06-VII-0014
- ADNR State Historic Preservation Office Determination
- ACOE Nationwide Permit File No. POA-2006-511-D