Archived Public Notices
Donlin Gold Project Renewal Application and Draft State decisions
Extended comment period ends September 6, 2018, 5:00PM ADT
Donlin Gold, LLC (Donlin Gold) is proposing the development of an open pit, hard rock gold mine in southwestern Alaska, about 277 miles west of Anchorage, 145 miles northeast of Bethel, and 10 miles north of the village of Crooked Creek. The proposed project would be located in an area of low-lying, well rounded ridges on the western portion of the Kuskokwim Mountains.
The proposed Donlin Gold Project would require approximately three to four years to construct, with the mine life currently projected to be approximately 27 years. The mine is proposed to be a year-round, conventional “truck and shovel” operation using both bulk and selective mining methods.
On July 9, 2018 the State of Alaska is releasing documents describing Donlin Gold Project’s reclamation and closure plans, and the following draft state decisions for a 30-day public review and comment period:
- Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water, draft Reclamation Plan Approval (A20186226). The Reclamation Plan Approval includes the Plan of Operations Reclamation and Closure Plan Donlin Gold Project July 2017 Revision 1 and closure cost estimate.
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Water, proposes to adopt the Reclamation Plan Approval and closure cost estimate through reference into Waste Management Permit No. 2017DB0001, which was presented for public comments and three public hearings during the period from December 15, 2017 through February 13, 2018. Only comments directed at the Reclamation Plan Approval, as they apply to the Waste Management Permit, are being solicited and will be considered by the department.
Documents Associated with the Public Review and Comment Period
(draft permit approval and support document)
- Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water, draft Reclamation Plan Approval (A20186226) (PDF)
- The Plan of Operations Reclamation and Closure Plan Donlin Gold Project July 2017 Revision 1 (PDF)
For Excel format of Donlin Gold Project Mine Reclamation Cost Estimate and Basis of Reclamation Cost Estimate, contact Faith Martineau
How to Comment
Hardcopies are also available for review at the following locations:
- AK Dept. Environmental Conservation (DEC)/ Fairbanks (610 University Ave.)
- AK Dept. Environmental Conservation (DEC) / Anchorage (555 Cordova St.)
- AK Dept. Natural Resources (DNR)/ Fairbanks (3700 Airport Way)
- AK Dept. Natural Resources (DNR) / Anchorage (550 W. 7th Ave. 9th Fl.)
Written comments must be received by:
September 6, 2018 - 5:00pm ADT
Send written comments by mail, email, or fax to:
Faith Martineau, Executive Director
Alaska Department of Natural Resources / Office of Project Management and Permitting
550 W 7th Avenue, Suite 1430
Anchorage, AK 99501
Fax: (907) 296-5673
Email Faith Martineau
Donlin Gold Project Public Scoping
As part of the mine development effort Donlin has applied to install a number of structures or facilities on state lands in support of the project, including port and airstrip facilities, an access road, a fiber optic telecommunications cable, material sites, temporary access routes and construction camps. Donlin has also requested to restrict public easements located within the proposed mine area. Some of the requested authorizations could involve reclassifying currently classified lands, classifying lands that are currently unclassified, and classifying lands outside of an area plan which currently have no classification. A list of the applications received by Southcentral Regional Office (SCRO) at the time of this notice can be found below along with maps of the project area.
SCRO conducted a public scoping notice from August 31, 2016 to October 17, 2016. The purpose of the scoping notice was to make the public aware of the applications received by SCRO and solicit public input that will be considered during the adjudication process. SCRO received eight comments during the scoping period, which can be seen through the link below.
If you would like to receive notifications from SCRO regarding the processing of these applications, you can subscribe to a contact list at the link provided below. Note that you will only be added to SCRO's contact list for this project and your contact information will not be added to other State of Alaska, federal or local agency distribution lists regarding the proposed Donlin Gold Mine.