Skip Navigation
State Home Page

Recreation Divisions/Offices Resource Information General Interest
Natural Resources

blue line

Special Lands     State of Alaska > Natural Resources > Special Management Lands

How To Use the Special Management Lands Map

If you want to learn more about a specific parcel of state land that was acquired through one of the grant programs described in this application, a donation, appropriation, or the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Restoration Program you can find that parcel on the Special Management Lands map and also get more detailed information about that parcel on-line.

  • First select the Special Lands Mapping Application.
  • Select the zoom tool zoom in the upper left hand corner of your browser in the mapping application toolbar.
  • Using the zoom tool, draw a rectangle around the area or parcels that you are interested in. Give the map time to zoom in and redraw the image.
  • If you need to zoom in further repeat the process.
  • Scroll down through the map layers listed in the Table of Contents (on the left side of your browser window) until you find the option for Other State Title. In this application we are looking at Limited State Holdings (things like conservation easements) and Other State Lands (fee acquisitions acquired outside of our statehood entitlements).
  • You have the option of turning on annotation that will display the parcels' case number (OSL 1094, LSH 563) in the State Land Administration System (LAS).
  • You may also display ALL Limited State Holdings, EVOS LSH, non-EVOS LSH, ALL Other State Lands, EVOS OSL, non-EVOS OLS.
  • You can also turn on any other layers that are of interest by placing a check mark in the box to the left of the layer or turn off layers you don't need by clicking the checkbox again.


For specific parcel information:

  • Once you have found the parcel you are interested in, go back to the upper tool bar and select the “SELECT” tool, select then double click on that parcel. Note that before you double click a yellow window will appear that shows the case number, case status and land status.
  • Double clicking on a parcel will bring up a Case Abstract. This is an abstract of the file for this parcel in the State Land Administration System, LAS.
  • Read the Case Abstract. Reading this document will provide you with the following information:
    • Case Type and Subtype (is it an EVOS parcel, a donation, an appropriation?)
    • Summary by TRS and acreage (you can turn this detail off by selecting the appropriate radio button in the upper left hand side of your browser and then hit "New Search" on the right)
    • Total acreage
    • Case Actions – look in this section to find out if there are any restrictions that have been placed on the parcel. You may find such things as the a reference to a hazmat survey, a reference to grant funds being used for acquisition and other useful information in a transaction called "Comments". Parcels acquired using grant funds or EVOS funds will likely have a “Restricted” transaction that specifies the funding source and associated restrictions.
    • Scroll down further and look for the "Document Recorded" transactions. In order to understand the allowable uses on a parcel you will need to READ the deed and any associated conservation easements. All recorded documents (since 2000) have been scanned and are available on-line. The document number will be listed in blue to the right of the description. Clicking on this link will display the Recorder's Office indexing and may provide an actual image of the document.
    • Click on the link “See Image” in the upper right hand corner of this screen to view a scanned copy of the recorded document. You can browse through multiple pages of the document by clicking the left and right arrows at the bottom center of the document window. If you do not see the See Image link the document has not yet been scanned and can be retrieved through the Recorder's Office.
    • Additional information can also be found in the Legal Description portion of the case abstract that further describes the parcel, how it was acquired, conditions on use in a narrative format.
    • READ the warranty deed, any conservation easements, and any other related documents before making a determination as to any future course of action.
    • Should you have questions, contact the DNR Public Information Center at 907-269-8400.

(back to top of page)


Last updated on Tuesday, May 16, 2006. Site optimized for Netscape 7, IE 6 or above.
Not sure who to contact? Have a question about DNR? Visit the Public Information Center.
Report technical problems with this page to the Webmaster