External Project Links
- Susitna-Watana Project Webpage
- Alaska Energy Authority
- Meeting Schedule, locations & agendas
- FERC Licensing Schedule
ISR Meeting Transcripts
OPMP Large Project Coordinator
Susitna-Watana Hydroelectric Project
The Susitna-Watana Hydro is a large hydro project that would provide long-term stable power for generations of Alaskans. The project estimates it will generate 50 percent of the current Railbelt’s electric demand, or 2,800,000 megawatt hours (MWh) of annual energy, once it comes online in 2024. The installed capacity is 600 megawatts (MW).
The project proponent is the Alaska Energy Authority (AEA), a public corporation of the state housed in the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development. The mission of AEA is to reduce the cost of energy in Alaska.
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) is the licensing body for Susitna-Watana Hydro. All public comments and formal licensing documents are accepted and publicly available with FERC online at Ferc.gov. The docket number for Susitna-Watana Hydro is P-14241.
For more information on Susitna Hydro please contact Marie Steele or the OPMP main office at 269-8690.
- Governor requests FERC issue Director Study Plan Determination
- 02 Dec 2015 FERC restarts ILP Schedule; Stakeholder comments due June 23
- Governor lifts AO271 abeyance; authorizes incremental advancement to FERC Director Study Determination
- FERC grants abeyance in Integrated Licensing Process
- FERC extends Revised Initial Study Report (ISR) Comment Schedule at the request of stakeholders
- FERC grants stakeholders additional 120 days to review Draft Initial Study Report (ISR)
- FERC issues Determination Study Plan describing 14 remaining approved study plans and methodologies
- FERC issues Determination Study Plan describing 44 approved study plans and methodologies